If you are wondering why should you set up an annual home maintenance calendar, have in mind that maintenance is of utmost importance for your property’s upkeep. It’s basically the same as a regular health check-up.
By regularly checking your plumbing, HVAC system, exterior, and all other parts of your home, you’ll help prevent serious damage. You’ll also save money, keep your home in the best possible condition, and increase its value, too. In case you are not sure how to do this, we’ve prepared a guide for each season.
How to set up an annual home maintenance calendar?
Home maintenance is crucial for any home’s upkeep. Regardless of if you just moved into a brand new home or your family is living in the same place for generations, it’s important to regularly check everything in your home. That’s the only way to prevent any major problem from occurring.
Caption: Regular maintenance is beneficial not only to make your home look good but to prevent any bigger problem from occurring.
Here’s how to set up your maintenance calendar:
- Make a list of tasks your home requires to stay maintained – As every home is different, there is no general list to copy to your calendar. Instead, you should go through your home and make a list of tasks you already do or should do but keep on procrastinating.
- Organize the list by how often these tasks need to be done – The next step is to organize the tasks you’ve listed. Some of them will need to be done once a year while some will be more regular.
- Put tasks into your calendar – Lastly, make sure to schedule when the tasks will be performed by making entries in your calendar. This way, you’ll be ahead of things. For example, if you need to hire someone to handle a specific task, you’ll know well in advance so you can properly plan and schedule everything.
In case you just moved into your home, you’ll probably want to make some changes and remodel certain areas first. You want to adjust it to your taste and find inspiring ideas to add your personal touch to it.
This is also the best time to double-check if everything in your home is in top-notch condition and if it requires additional repairs and maintenance. You can use that walkthrough to create the list of tasks to put in your calendar, too. After you’re done, it’s the perfect time to sit down and create your annual home maintenance calendar.
Monthly maintenance checklist
Another good idea is to create a monthly maintenance checklist. This will help you keep your annual maintenance calendar on track. Also, it will be much easier for you to manage it.
Here are some of the home maintenance tasks you should consider doing monthly:
- Check for debris in your tub and sink drains.
- Inspect the furnace filter and clean it of any dust.
- Remove mineral deposits from showerheads and faucet aerators.
- Clean your garbage disposal.
- Inspect your water softener and your water heater.
- Check your outdoor and indoor air vents and make sure they’re not blocked.
- Insulate outdoor faucets and pipes in unheated garages.
Let’s be honest – doing monthly maintenance isn’t something anyone looks forward to. However, look for ways to make it fun for everyone involved. For example, you can add new decorative elements to your home. Even the simplest details can refresh your home and you’ll feel as if you got a small reward for your efforts.
Don’t forget – you are doing all of this to save yourself from bigger issues that might occur if you don’t take care of your home properly.
Maintenance checklist for every season
To help you create your annual maintenance calendar, here are some suggestions for tasks you should do each season. However, have in mind that every home is different and that you might need to add different tasks we haven’t listed depending on your home and area you live in.
Fall is usually the best season to tackle general maintenance tasks due to perfect weather conditions. Of course, depending on the area you live in.
Early fall is also a great time to give your home a fresh coat of paint and even update your windows for more energy-efficient models. However, don’t forget to keep your art safe from damage as well as any other precious objects that can get ruined with paint and dust. The best way to go is to rent a storage unit until the works are completed.
Here are our suggestions for fall home maintenance:
- Keep your lawn perfect by raking leaves and aerating your lawn.
- Hire a professional to inspect your forced-air heating system.
- Inspect the fireplace and check for any damage.
- Have your carpets, windows, and door screens deep cleaned.
- Have your roofing inspected.
- If needed, seal cracks and gaps in windows and doors.
Winter weather can take a toll on your home if you don’t properly take care of it. Maintenance during winter is especially important if you live in an area with below-freezing temperatures. Therefore, here’s what you should pay attention to during coldest months:
- Keep your air-conditioning unit covered.
- During thaws, check basement for any leaks.
- After storms, make sure to inspect your roof, gutters, and downspouts.
- Keep drains in sinks, showers, and tubs clean.
Springtime is not only good for general cleaning, but you should also pay attention to general home upkeep. After the winter is over, it’s a perfect time to make sure your home is in perfect condition. Here are just some suggestions for spring maintenance:
- Inspect your roof, attic, and basement.
- Have your air-conditioning system serviced.
- Remove insulation from outdoor faucets.
- Inspect your plumbing for signs of deterioration.
- Take care of your lawn by fertilizing it.
- Prepare your deck for warmer months.
Although summer is meant for relaxing and resting, there are still some quick maintenance tasks you should take care of.
Here are the maintenance tasks to consider doing in the summer:
- Consider cleaning your kitchen exhaust fan filter.
- Clean your refrigerator and freezer.
- Check around your home for any leaks.
- Keep your yard neat.
Go set up an annual home maintenance calendar!
Keeping your home in top-notch condition is more important than choosing the perfect interior design or choosing the right flooring for your home. Maintenance is essential to keep your family safe and prevent major damage that can only give you more headaches and cost you a lot of money. Therefore, set up an annual home maintenance calendar and make sure your home is looking and feeling its best.